Hormones Are substances that are produced by endocrineGlands (thyroid, pancreas, sex glands, pituitary gland, etc.) and participate in all processes in the body. These bioactive compounds determine the processes of growth, development, reproduction, metabolism, the appearance of a person, his character and behavior depend on them.
The produced hormones pass into the blood, whereAre in certain concentrations and equilibrium with each other. Abnormalities affect the health status and can lead to the defeat of various organs and systems. And it is important not only the concentration of a hormone, but also its relationship with other types of hormones.
When is the blood test for hormones prescribed?
The blood test for determining the level of certain hormones, as well as the hormonal background as a whole, can be prescribed by almost any specialist:
- A neuropathologist;
- Oncologist, etc.
This procedure allows you to identify a large number of various pathologies, including in the early stages before the manifestation of clinical signs.
The reason for this analysis may beBecome a suspicion of a dysfunction of the glands of internal secretion or an increase in the size of the glands (for example, after ultrasound). Often check the level of hormones required when:
- Increase in weight.
A repeat study can be assigned to evaluate the effectiveness of the treatment.
Preparation for the analysis of blood for hormones
To obtain high-quality and reliableResults should adhere to the following recommendations, which are developed for the analysis of blood for any hormones (thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), sex, adrenal, thyroid, etc.):
- Two weeks prior to the study, all medications should be discontinued (with the exception of those whose reception before the analysis is agreed with the doctor).
- Three days before the test, you should stop using alcohol.
- 3-5 days before the analysis it is recommended to refrain from eating fatty, sharp and fried foods.
- 3 days before the analysis, you must give up playing sports and not allow heavy physical exertion.
- On the day of the study, you can not smoke.
- Since giving blood for analysis is performed on an empty stomach, you should stop eating 12 hours before the procedure (sometimes only clean water without gas is allowed).
- Immediately before the procedure should be within 10-15 minutes to rest, try not to worry.
Since the level of hormones in women depends onMenstrual cycle, it is better to take the test for 5-7 days after the onset of menstruation. If you plan to analyze the level of the hormone progesterone, then it should be conducted on the 19-21 day of the cycle. Also, before the blood test for sex hormones, do not recommend gynecological examination, palpation of the mammary glands.
Decoding of the blood test for hormones
Decipher the blood test for hormones can onlyA qualified specialist, applying an individual approach to each patient and taking into account the characteristics of the body, existing diseases, therapy and many other factors. It is worth taking into account the fact that the norms for the analysis of blood for hormones in different laboratories are different. This is explained by the fact that various methods, equipment, reagents, holding time, etc. can be used in the study. Therefore, if it is necessary to conduct repeated analyzes, contact the same institution as for the first time, and in deciphering, be guided by the norms used in it.