The most fertile and fruitful month of summer is August. It is in August that we start to think about the fall, but we can still enjoy the whole month in the summer. It was in August that watermelons loved by all appear on the markets. But unfortunately, it happens that you bring home a huge watermelon, and it is unsweetened and tastes more like grass. The whole family is already tuned, but it's such a pain. But there are several signs on which you can identify and choose a ripe watermelon.
How to choose a good watermelon?
Before you learn how to choose the right oneWatermelon, you should learn to properly wait for the time to buy this huge berry. In the markets, watermelon appears not only in the August time, but much earlier. In July you can see it on sale. Needless to say, such an early watermelon is simply impossible to grow without chemicals. So do not rush and wait for the right time to ripen the fetus.
How to determine the ripeness of watermelon?
There are several signs on which it is possible to determine the ripeness of watermelon:
- Before choosing a good watermelon, let'sDetermine the place of purchase. So, buying a watermelon along the route is dangerous. Even if the berry itself ripe, during the stay in direct sunlight it absorbs, like a sponge, a lot of heavy metals, engine exhausts and dust.
- Do not ask the seller to pick you a watermelon. There is no guarantee that he understands them in any way. In addition, you can sell that watermelon, which is a long time ago and does not want to be sold.
- Knock on the watermelon. The sound must be deaf.
- Take a man with you if you want to choose the right watermelon: he needs to squeeze the watermelon as tightly as possible and listen - the crack says about ripeness.
- Externally, the watermelon must be regular, spherical. A dark color with distinct light strips also speaks of ripeness.
- The most successful weight of watermelon is 5-10 kg. This is the ideal gap, so do not buy an unripe or water-soaked nitrate watermelon.
- Inspect the surface, there should be no stains or cracks on it. Slide your fingers over the peel: if you find characteristic points, put the goods aside - these can be traces of injections.
- Before using a small piece of pulp, squash with a fork and dip into a glass with water. If the water has become turbid - you can safely eat, and if it turns pink or reddened - the watermelon should be thrown away.
Choose a watermelon very carefully, then you can treat the family with a delicious and ripe berry.